Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Road to qooxdoo - Part II

Last time, we learned how one self-appointed Lisp God with no knowledge of web programming ended up programming the web and then soon enough embarked on a six week grand tour of Javascript frameworks in search of a platform suitable for an enterprise web application and where his tour ended: qooxdoo. That episode ended with a promise of more information on qooxdoo, but first a note on the methodology: there was none.

My first experiment with web programming had thanks to the marvels of Lisp in general and AllegroCL's web tools in particular mushroomed into a full-blown web application aided here and there by jQuery widgets before we slowed down enough to think, Damn, we could benefit from a full-blown Web application framework.

 So I eyeballed the usual suspects and ran them through googlefight and picked the most promising one and used that to redo what I had accomplished to date. Which was: tab controls, select boxes, data grids as views into server-side data stores, tree views, text input, tool tips, pushbuttons, pop-up windows, and probably one or two things I am forgetting.

How did I assess the libraries? We needed a professional look, good performance, and maximum productivity. Sorry if that seems blindingly obvious. The productivity assessment has some beef: I looked for lots of documentation and tons of examples describing a rich set of widgets at once high-level, feature-rich, and yet highly authorable which may not be a word but it means I get to override stuff without resorting to back doors. 

I considered also two metaqualities: on-line support and internals code quality. Having the Lisp HyperSpec an F1 away is just a little faster than asking for the same information on comp.lang.lisp. ie, Community matters. As for code quality, the good thing about open source is not that it is free, it is that I can use the source to understand things at 3am when the community might be quiet; I can add print statements to debug my code; and maybe I can find and fix a bug in the library. But if the code is of low quality good luck with anything more than the print statement insertion.

It was a rough six weeks. Three times in six weeks I logged onto support groups and said, "Hi, this is my first day..." as I rebuilt a relatively feature-rich web app three times while staggering up to speed three times on three environments. All while the client is getting absolutely no new functionality. I feel bad all the while because they need this stuff now. I am letting them down and there is the strong possibility they will be letting me go: I had been brought on to do the Web front-end. I like learning, but not so much with a gun to my head and a time bomb ticking.

Are we having fun yet? Well, yes. The last framework we tried was qooxdoo and it has worked out great. I can now give the client pretty much what they want fast and looking good once they pony up for a graphic artist because I just saw this impressive example of what can be done with their "appearance" framework. But I ain't no designer.

Funny thing, though: qooxdoo  like YUI and Dojo came up short during the evaluation. It had no example of the widget I needed most, a fairly standard widget at that: a datagrid backed by a remote store. Bad sign. Second, qooxdoo did no better on googlefight than does Lisp, and that is pretty bad. Finally, qooxdoo like YUI lacks a declarative programming model [though the declarative QxTransformer has been revived since my original investigation] which means I cannot just sit in my Lisp IDE catching XHRs and tossing back HTML/CSS. This would put a non-trivial dent in my productivity.

So how did qooxdoo prevail? What can I tell you? Bullet charts are useless, expert systems work great as long as expert humans interpret their output, and resumes tell us nothing about the work we will get out of people. 

qooxdoo did have a contributed example of a remote data store which pretty much worked and when I looked at the qooxdoo internals to learn how to make it work better I found very good code and rather quickly had the datagrid I needed. Otherwise qooxdoo did have loads of examples and documentation and decent community (I say "decent", you'll say "great"--my standard is comp.lang.lisp) and then we get to the bottom line.

While resurrecting my app for the third time with qooxdoo, yes, I worked just as hard as I did using Dojo and YUI. But the effort was different. With qooxdoo I was struggling to learn a very nice framework that needs an index: I was slaving for six hours to find the simple six lines of code I had to write. With YUI I was struggling with a framework that did not work all that well and scared me more and more the more I looked inside it. With Dojo the struggle was with a good framework but the struggle was such that I suspected the struggle would never diminish and probably increase exponentially as the application grew in complexity.

As for the declarative thing, hey, I am a programmer, I can write code. And Javascript has a lot of Lisp soul, I am not stuck with something daft like PHP or Python. Sure, having to spend more time in a JS IDE means a ten percent productivity hit but ten percent we can do. The terror we developers dread is the tool nightmare death by a thousand cuts two steps forward two steps back rope drag death. 

I will blog on rope drag sometime soon, but first let's get specific about qooxdoo. In Part III of my Road to qooxdoo.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Kenny, you got a funny stile :). As for the AllegroCL tools, it impresses me to see praise for them for the second time in a short while (the other being on the blog of another multi-lingual programming wizzard).